Saturday, August 11, 2012

Big guns unimpressive

Boeung Ket cemented their spot in the Super 4 Metfone C-League play-offs with an expected win over relegated Western Uni this afternoon but they made heavy weather of it, with the students holding them to nil-nil at the interval. Friday Nwakuna was booked for simulation early on and his strike partner Chukwuma Uhuruogu had fluffed three great chances before the fifteenth minute. It looked like one of those days for the Rubbermen, though Western posed no threat at all. Four minutes after the break, Nwakuna managed to squeeze a looping cross-shot in from an impossible angle to get the goals flowing. A poor kick-out by BK's stand-in keeper Oeun Samath gave Western a guilt-edged opportunity to equalize and Pong Sambo took it with a neat flourish. Substitute Yob Romaton added some zest to a sparkless display by Boeung Ket and headed them back in front just after the hour mark. A minute later Keo Sokngorn, who was on the radio earlier in the day to deny a rumour he was quitting, which he himself had started on Facebook, floated in a third from 25 yards out. Samath was lucky to stay on the pitch after a rash challenge outside the penalty area before Romaton and Nwakuna, with a fine individual goal, settled the game and their top 4 spot in a 5-1 success.
In the second match of the day, NagaCorp looked anything but championship certainties with a stop-start first half display against revitalized Kirivong. Sun Sovannrithy should've scored after just 49 seconds and after that Naga posed little threat. Their championship hopes may've come undone when leading scorer Chuon Chum limped off the pitch after 26 minutes with a knee injury and everyone in the Naga camp will have their fingers crossed that the knock isn't a serious one. Yellow cards for Sun Sopanha, San Narith and Sovannrithy will see them miss their next game but it was Narith who popped up in acres of space to give Naga a 56th minute lead. Kirivong heads refused to drop and they got a deserved leveller with a minute left to play, when Giwa Bolaji headed powerfully in from a corner.

No comments: