Saturday, November 10, 2012

Academy back in gear

PPCFC Academy in the first-half v Army
It has been exactly a month since the Phnom Penh Crown Academy youngsters played their last match. And it showed. The boys were rusty in the early stages of their match this morning, against an Army team who were mostly boys a year or two older than the Crown Academy line-up. Though their passing game on a soggy RSN Stadium pitch wasn't up to their usual standard initially, they were still too good for the Army team, and their shooting came to the fore, particularly in the first-half. In fact I recall only one serious attempt on goal by the Army team in the whole 90-minute match, when Ouk Sovann cleared off the goal-line. At the other end, Crown took a three-goal half-time lead and with a completely changed line-up at the interval, went onto record a 4-0 victory. Long Phearath ventured forward to open the scoring on ten minutes with a left-foot stinging half-volley from a wide angle. Twenty minutes later In Sodavid picked his spot, the top left-hand corner, with a powerful sidefoot from 22 yards out. On the stroke of half-time, Orn Chanpolin lashed in another screamer from 25 yards, which gave the hapless keeper no chance. 10-men Crown had played for twenty minutes without centre-half Sraing Titchhy who twisted his ankle. After the break, the Army successfully repelled Crown's advances until ten minutes from time when Mat Sakrovy cut inside his marker and unleashed another thundering effort into the top corner. Four fabulous strikes, all from outside the penalty box. Another successful day at the office for the Crown Academy.
The 2nd half Academy team

In Sodavid breaks into the Army penalty box

Half-time team talk from coach Bouy Dary

Back Row, LtoR: Kiry (coach), Ponvuthy, Chanchav, Sodavid, Piphop, Senteang, Titchhy, Chanpolin, S Samnang, Baraing, K Chhaya, Sakrovy, Sovann. Front Row: Phearath, T Chhaya, David, Muslim, Noeut, Chansopheak, Ronaldo, Nuron, Rozak, V Samnang, Dary (coach)

No comments: