Saturday, February 15, 2014

Naga sank early doors

Metfone C-League Round-Up:
The main game of Saturday was Boeung Ket's revival 2-1 win over NagaCorp, who had everyone scratching their heads as to how they beat BBU by five the week before. Naga looked toothless for the whole game until Boeung Ket started panicking late in the match. It certainly helps when you get given a goal after 1 minute as Naga handed to Chan Vathanaka. Their second came on 17 minutes when Elroy van der Hooft poached a goal from about five inches after Samrith Seiha failed to hold a scuffed Vathanaka shot. Vathanaka and Elroy were down on the ground more than they were on their feet as the Rubbermen dominated the opening half. There wasn't much happening in the second half, apart from the guy in black Thong Chankethya pulling out his yellow card half a dozen times in total, until Boeung Ket got the jitters late on, Chin Chum grabbed a goal back with six minutes to go and then Meak Chhordaravuth fluffed the chance of the match on the stroke of full-time that could've shared the points. To be honest Naga didn't deserve it. In the evening kick-off, Brazilian Santos des Deus wrapped in a goal for Kirivong on 20 minutes but Western's David Njoku saw his cross sail over the head of the Kirivong keeper just before the hour, in a game the University team just about shaded. It ended 1-1. Over at the Army Stadium, it was fun and games as Army drew 1-1 with AEU, who had their debutant, Australian Adriano Pellegrino sent off, after a fracas on the touchline. One of the Army players saw red too. Pellegrino is a top player, having played in the A-League and is just about to join Kedah in Malaysia. His debut didn't go as planned. Obviously. In the earlier game, Hoy Phallin's solitary goal was the difference between his team Svay Rieng, and leaders TriAsia, who lost their first league game. No histrionics from the bench/grandstand this time around. But we don't know what went on behind closed doors.
Postscript: Phnom Penh Crown went to the top of the MCL on Sunday, wiping the floor with BBU, winning 5-0 but it could've been double-figures. In the other game, Albirex Niigata looked good for forty minutes. conceded with the last kick of the first-half and then caved in, losing 5-0 to National Police, who moved into second place. Don't ask me who scored, it was too dark under the Olympic floodlights.

No comments: