Monday, August 11, 2014

Another two years

Thierry signs on the dotted line - click to enlarge
Another piece of the jigsaw was slotted into place today as midfield playmaker Bin Thierry signed on the dotted line for another two years with Phnom Penh Crown, extending his contract until 2016. Thierry is currently training with the Cambodia national team ahead of the Suzuki Cup and is very pleased to commit himself to Crown. "I'm extremely happy to sign for two more years and to remain in Cambodia. I love the club, the players, the staff and I'm very excited to stay, especially to play in the AFC Cup next year. It was great to win the championship, even though I played only half the season, but I was there all the time, supporting my teammates - it was great for the club and the players to get this success, which we deserved. The big difference was that everyone played for each other and for the team, we were united together as one," he said whilst signing his new contract. Head coach Sam Schweingruber, currently on FIFA duty in China, had this to say. "He was my very first signing when I joined Crown soon 2 years ago. He has lots of potential and was unlucky with injury and suspension this year. We know of his qualities and importance and I am very excited that he has chosen to be with us for the next 2 years - rejecting better offers from our competitors and staying committed to our project and team. I would like to thank Thierry for his trust in me as a coach and I am committed to further help develop him to reach his goals for the club and personally. Hopefully next season will be the best we have ever seen from Thierry. He is now focusing on his national team duties, where I believe he will also be the star player in the upcoming Suzuki Cup campaign." Thierry was born in Paris, the son of Battambang-born Khmer parents, and played in France until he joined Crown in October 2012. Now 23 years old, he impressed on a tour of Cambodia by the Khmer-Europe XI.  As a youngster, he was at the RC Strasbourg academy and played for the Paris District U-14s and the France U-16 national team before spells at FC Saint-Jean-Le-Blanc and Aubervilliers. He’s a natural left-footed midfield player who quickly became a crowd favourite and who represented Cambodia in the last SEA Games in Myanmar. Injury and suspension interrupted his championship-winning season.

No comments: