Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Strength in depth

I know there are 49 more matches to go but I can't see past Phnom Penh Crown as this year's C-League champions
The half-way stage of the Metfone C-League is upon us. Later this afternoon, the Army (Ministry of National Defense) resume league action when they take on Wat Phnom at the Olympic Stadium, start time 3.30pm. Rain is guaranteed. Bring a coat. I'm rooting for the Army to do well in the 2nd half of the season, primarily because they have some of the league's most exciting players (Nov Soseila, Oum Kumpheak, Suong Virak, Samreth Seiha, Khim Borey to name the obvious ones) and as they're an all-Khmer team. They won the Hun Sen Cup at the start of the season and it would be great for them, and Cambodian football, if they captured the double. It would be like an all-British team winning the Barclays League. That will never happen but I'm sure you get my drift. However, I see a tough road ahead, even if they manage to crowbar Om Thavrak, my favourite player in the C-League, into their line-up, which would make my day I must admit. Hand on head instead of heart, I think Phnom Penh Crown will win the league. They have the best strength in depth, the best of the foreign contingent, most likely the biggest bank balance and a firm belief in themselves that they're the best. I fully expect The Prince and Keo Sokngorn to shine in the second half of the campaign, and if they have signed Olisa Onyemerea as well, that will only strengthen their attacking options. What about the current leaders BBU I hear you shout? Great first half of the season for sure, but they simply don't have the squad to maintain their challenge. Naga and Preah Khan will be there or thereabouts but they too don't have the depth to match Crown. My top four destined for the end of season Super 4 play-offs are Crown, Naga, Army and Preah Khan. Any other team care to make me eat my words? Naga managed to win the title last season against the odds, can anyone match that memorable effort this time around?

No comments: