Sunday, November 3, 2013


PPCFC v Svay Rieng. Back row LtoR: Da, Keo, Boris, Ary, Hutchinson, Obadin. Front Row: Sokumpheak, Sosela, Makara, Borey, Ndougou - click to enlarge
This weekend, Phnom Penh Crown's players were busy bees, taking part in two pre-season practice matches, the final stages of the National Futsal Championships as well as starring for the Cambodia U-23s, in their 2-2 draw with Malaysia. Saturday morning saw the first-team take on a youthful Svay Rieng at RSN Stadium. In three 35 minute periods, Svay Rieng started off the better and took the lead on 22 minutes, capitalizing on lost possession. Crown's best opportunity came courtesy of Khim Borey's 25-yard effort that sailed inches over the cross-bar just before the break. The same player replicated his feat just a minute into the second period, but it was the visitors who made their first effort count, five minutes in when they applied the killer touch to a corner at the near post. A Borey volley fell to Long Boran six yards out but he spooned the ball over the top, a Borey shot was held low down and Arsene Ndougou planted a header too close to the keeper as Crown came back strongly. With lots of personnel changes in the final third for Crown, George Bisan raced away from the half-way line but was thwarted by a brave goalkeeping save and with five minutes remaining, Um Tola reduced the arrears with a superb 25-yard effort that curled into the top corner, but too little too late. Svay Rieng claimed a 2-1 success and looked further down the pre-season fitness road than the home team.
PPCFC v Svay Rieng: Ary, Da (Pisa 71), Keo (Sarak 36 (Srin 71)), Boris (Tola 36 (Sophat 71)), Obadin (Dara 71), Hutchinson (Bisan 23), Sokumpheak (Sothy 36 (Phearun 71)), Borey (King 71), Sosela (Boran 22), Makara (Pheng 36), Ndougou (Morslim 71). Booking: Pisa. MOTM: Borey. Goal: Tola (101).
PPCFC v Nat Police. Back Row LtoR: Ary, Obadin, Pheng, Sothy, Srin, Borey. Front Row: Bisan, Ndougou, Sokumpheak, Da, Sosela - click to enlarge

For their second practice match in as many days, Crown faced National Police at RSN on Sunday morning. Arsene Ndougou had a couple of early chances, but the Police keeper held onto both efforts, as he did with Khim Borey's twenty-yard strike. Another Borey attempt sailed inches wide of the far post before Ndougou put Crown ahead on 21 minutes. The Cameroonian chased and harried the last defender and keeper and as the ball squirmed loose, he rolled it into an empty net, at the third time of asking. Borey was guilty of too much power and not enough precision, as he blasted a great opportunity over the top just before the break. Five minutes in, George Bisan strong-armed his way through two tackles but found the keeper blocking his route to goal. A little later, another Bisan effort was hacked off the goal-line to safety. In a game where tackles were coming thick and fast, four Crown players were shown yellow cards, but the Police levelled the score with fifteen minutes to go. Yok Ary dropped what looked like a regulation catch from a free-kick and Police pounced on the loose ball to tie the game at 1-1. Sitting out the match through injury were Kok Boris, Lenh Makara and Liam Hutchinson.
PPCFC v Nat Police: Ary, Da (Dara 83), Pheng, Srin (Sarak 83), Obadin, Sokumpheak (Keo 66), Sothy (Boran 66), Borey (Phearun 83), Sosela (King 66), Bisan (Tola 66), Ndougou (Pisa 72). Subs not used: Morslim. Bookings: Ndougou, Sokumpheak, Sarak, Tola. MOTM: Bisan. Goal: Ndougou (21).

No comments: