Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Thierry shocker

Bin Thierry has announced that he is retiring from international football
Breaking news...Bin Thierry, Phnom Penh Crown's playmaking midfielder who starred for Cambodia U-23s in the recent BIDC Cup matches, has stunned the Khmer football fraternity by announcing his retirement from international football with immediate effect. No reasons were given, just that it was a painful and difficult decision for the French-born player, who would not say any more on the background to his decision. This was his statement:
"Anyone that knows me will understand that one of the proudest moments of my life was pulling on the Cambodian national football team jersey to represent the country of my parents birth. Playing for the Khmer-Europe team and being welcomed to Cambodian football by Phnom Penh Crown FC was the start of a fantastic journey for me. It made the possibility of playing for Cambodia a reality and I was very happy to be selected for the Cambodia U-23 SEA Games squad. To then play against Malaysia, Laos and Thailand in the BIDC Cup was a dream come true. My dad even came over from France to watch my matches. The support and encouragement of the Cambodian football fans has made the experience even better than I could've ever hoped for. For these reasons, it is with considerable regret that I am announcing my retirement from the Cambodian national football team, with immediate effect due to personal reasons, which I will not divulge at this time. This has been a very painful and difficult decision for me to make, but with the support of the people closest to me, I believe it is one I have to make. LONG LIVE CAMBODIA!"
The online reaction to the news has been one of incredulity, after the player lived up to his messiah-like reputation in last week's matches in the BIDC Cup. Cambodia were using the competition as a warm-up for their trip to Myanmar in the SEA Games at the start of next month. Now, they will have to do without arguably their most influential player. Meanwhile, Thierry will join his Crown colleagues for a week-long tournament in Nanning, southern China from Thursday of this week.

No comments: