Friday, October 25, 2013

Battambang duo arrive

New signing Um Tola - click to enlarge
Phnom Penh Crown's head coach Sam Schweingruber has snapped up two players who he has been tracking for a while, Um Tola and Long Boran, both from Battambang. The coach, currently on an AFC Instructor's Coaching course in Singapore, had this to say. "When I became coach last year I was really hoping to bring in Tola and Boran, unfortunately they were not free agents and it didn’t work out. As I have known both players for many years I have a good understanding of what they are capable of. I see potential but also the need to further develop them. Their performance for the Battambang team in the play-offs was very impressive and there is no doubt there is more to come. Hopefully they will settle in quickly and develop the way I believe is possible, and then we are in for a real treat of skill, power and commitment." 
Um Tola, who recently turned 24, is a hard-working speedy striker who was born in Banang village in Sdao commune in Battambang, played for the Samdech Ov High School and his provincial team as a youngster. He also played for the Crossroads club, the SALT organization, Western University for three years and recently a brief spell with the Thaneakea Srov team. He played for Western University in the C-League during 2012. Tola expressed his pleasure at joining Crown; "This is all new to me, such a professional club with high standards. I want to train so much with such a good foreign coach like Sam and especially as the team has so many national team players, who will help me improve. I will train hard to help the club win competitions. That is my goal." His fellow Battambang native, Long Boran, also celebrated his birthday recently. He's now 22 years old and previously played for Western University for two years, including their season in the Metfone C-League, alongside Tola. Born in Tuol Ta Ek in Battambang, he played for Samdech Ov High School and his provincial team, as well as the SALT Organisation before moving to live in Phnom Penh in 2011. "I am happy and excited about coming to PPCFC, as I never expected I could play for such a big club as this. Now I am here I want to be a success. I would love to help the team win competitions at home and abroad," said Crown's latest arrival.
Another new face is Long Boran - click to enlarge

No comments: