Saturday, January 29, 2011

Hello, hello, hello

Two goals from Commissary skipper Sophal Udom undid Stung Treng
The National Police Commissary starting line-up that triumphed 3-0
The clash of the police in Saturday's opening Hun Sen Cup 2nd round match-up went the way of the formbook with the National Police Commissary, a new addition to this season's approaching C-League, proving too strong for the Military Police unit from Stung Treng. Former national teammates, Hok Sochivorn and Ung Kanyanith were in charge of the two teams, with Kanyanith taking the honours at the final whistle. With a sprinkling of familiar names to C-League watchers, the Commissary team grabbed the all-important first goal just three minutes before the break as Ly Arafine headed in Hou Sambo's cross to the far post. Stung Treng huffed and puffed at the start of the 2nd half but failed to breakthrough and just after the hour, Sophal Udom lashed in the second Commissary goal after confusion in the Stung Treng backline. Though they struck the crossbar with a searing 25 yard free-kick, the team from the northernmost province along the Mekong River were sunk by a second from Sophal Udom on 76 minutes, when he fired into the roof of the net from Sambo's byeline pull-back to make it a convincing 3-0 scoreline.
The MP's from Stung Treng
Ex-Cambodian international striker Hok Sochivorn, now coach at Stung Treng
Winning coach Ung Kanyanith of Police Commissary
It's a big day out in the city for the party from Stung Treng
The later game on Saturday also finished as expected with the National Defense Ministry overpowering Chhma Khmao 2-1 but the bottom club in last season's C-League put up a spirited fight and better fitness might've just proved decisive. The first half was devoid of much goalmouth activity with the Army team taking the lead just five minutes after the interval when substitute Phuong Soksana broke into the box and fired across keeper Phorng Ratana into the far corner. On 66 minutes, they extended their lead when Thong Udom ventured upfield and powered his header home from Ieng Piseth's perfect center. Five minutes later Chhma Khmao's task was made even harder when referee Khuon Virak over-reacted to a mistimed tackle and sent off Houng Rady. Undaunted, the team from Svay Rieng got back into the tie when Oung Dara's 25-yard free-kick sailed into the top corner with 14 minutes remaining but they never quite had the legs, or the skill, to unlock the Army defence a 2nd time.
The Army starting line-up which made heavy weather of beating Chhma Khmao
Chhma Khmao gave a good account of themselves despite losing 2-1
Thong Udom leads out his Army side in red, followed by keeper Sou Yaty

No comments: