Saturday, January 22, 2011

Short shrift

13 goals in two games and the Hun Sen Cup announced it was back in town this afternoon at the Olympic Stadium. Following the group games in the provinces, it was back to the capital for the last sixteen round and the two C-League regular teams, Prek Pra and BBU, gave their provincial opponents short shrift in today's games. Prek Pra brought their noisy fans with them and handed out a 5-1 thrashing to Battambang, whilst Build Bright wore down Rithy Sen and eventually ran out comfortable 6-1 winners. Tomorrow's two games involve Preah Khan and Phnom Penh Crown meeting lesser (on paper) opposition, so we can expect more goals on the menu.
Prek Pra Keila won with ease, 5-1 against Battambang in today's 1st Hun Sen Cup tie
In the 2pm kick-off this afternoon, Prek Pra Keila wasted little time in taking the lead as their opponents from Battambang started sluggishly and paid the price. Two minutes in, Ha Rithy tried to cut out a pass but only succeeded in looping the ball over his own goalkeeper and giving Prek Pra an easy head-start. With 32 minutes on the clock You Arafat slipped the ball under keeper Tith Engsrun for number two and three minutes before the interval, Sen Poukhory burst between two defenders and finished with ease. The result was never in doubt after that, even though Battambang netted a penalty five minutes after the restart through Oum Tola. Prek Pra's 4th came thirty minutes into the 2nd half as Mat Hasan sped away from his marker, who collapsed with cramp, and slotted his shot inside the far post. Sos Souhana completed proceedings 9 minutes from time when he lobbed the ball over Engsrun with the Battambang defence notable by their absence. 5-1 to Prek Pra and a job well done.
Battambang were no match for Prek Pra
BBU showed their class with a 6-1 win over Rithy Sen
A large crowd awaited the 2nd game of the day. Rithy Sen from Kompong Chhnang will be plying their trade in the C-League this coming season and gave notice of intention for the first 20 minutes of this last 16 cup tie. They harried and took the game to BBU and earned their lead on 16 minutes when Mich Chanta picked out Seth Kamel and he finished past Hem Simay with confidence. BBU eventually got their neat passing moves together as the first half wore on and with 28 minutes played they levelled with a tap-in for Prum Putsethy after keeper Oum Veasna got in the way of Oum Chandara's shot. Now on top, BBU should've done better before the break but found Veasna in great form as he denied two long range efforts from Chhun Sothearath and a closer in chance for Putsethy. A goal after less than a minute of the second half gave BBU the upper hand and they never looked back. Nuth Sinoun, sporting a new short back and sides haircut, rolled in his strike as Rithy Sen were still wiping the sleep from their eyes. Five minutes later and Putsethy added to the agony of the C-League newboys as he guided a header past Oum Veasna from a delightful Chandara centre. Putsethy's well deserved hattrick arrived on 70 minutes as he benefited from a mistake by Thang Channarith. Nine minutes left on the clock and substitute Chan Sokunthina netted at the far post after Heng Sokly unselfishly set him up and there was still time for Nuth Sinoun to smash home a sixth for BBU in the first minute of added-on time. It was no more than BBU had deserved after seeing off the early promise of their opponents.
Rithy Sen started brightly before fading against BBU

No comments: