Sunday, July 31, 2011

Metfone round-up

Naga Corp, 2-0 winners
With Phnom Penh Crown maintaining their 4-point Metfone C-League lead with their 4-1 defeat of BBU yesterday, it was left to the other three games to make up the weekend's remaining fixtures.
In Saturday's opening game, it was that man Julius Oiboh who proved to be the difference between his 2nd-placed Naga and Preah Khan Reach. The latter's defence was all at sea when Oiboh opened the scoring on 32 minutes, taking a pass from Chin Chom in his stride, shrugging off a defender and putting his foot through a low drive into the corner. As easy as shelling peas. Seven minutes later the same player rattled the crossbar with one of his trademark pile-drivers. That was about the sum of the opening half though it ended with PKR's former coach Rith Dikar, racing down the grandstand steps to remonstrate with match referee Neang Sorithya, and twice grabbing the referee's arm as he left the arena. Khuon Laboravy, as close to the Khmer version of Julius as you can get, went close four times after the break for PKR but it was his shocking miss three minutes from time that summed up his afternoon, heading over from Prak Mony Udom's pinpoint cross with the goal at his mercy. Naga's highlight of the 2nd half was Oiboh's second goal and what a highlight it was. Holding off challenges from two defenders, the Nigerian hitman gave himself space and a better angle before toe-poking his drive into the far corner with 79 minutes on the clock. Game over and Oiboh celebrated his 17th goal of the season, with Naga keeping the league leaders in their sights.
Preah Khan Reach had no answer to Naga's Julius Oiboh
In the opening match on Sunday, the National Police Commissary found Chhlam Samuth tricky opponents and it was the Sea Sharks who had the ball in the net first, only for a flag to rule it offside. Five minutes before the break, Police's Long Nasy curled in a sweetly-struck 25-yard free-kick, between post and goalkeeper, for the opening goal. Sunday Ayodele took advantage of a loose ball to fire Chhlam Samuth level six minutes after the interval but they held on for just 5 more minutes before Police skipper Sophal Udom set up Mat Ritavann and he made no mistake with a neat finish. Ayodele should've done better with a couple of chances but it was Police who closed out the game with two goals in the latter stages. With three minutes remaining, Nasy ran onto a Ngoun Chansothea ball over the top and calmly finished, and then three minutes into time added on, the same player registered his hat-trick with an audacious chip over keeper Pich Rovinyothin to make it 4-1. Next week Police face the considerably more threatening league leaders, Phnom Penh Crown, whilst Jimmy Campbell's Chhlam Samuth are struggling to avoid the relegation dog-fight.
National Police, for whom Long Nasy netted a hat-trick
Chhlam Samuth, still involved in the relegation dog-fight
The final game of the weekend was a yawn. The National Defense Ministry started like a train against bottom-club Rithysen but after taking an early two-goal lead they took their foot of the gas and eventually ran out 3-1 winners. On six and nine minutes, the Army whipped in two goals with Oum Kumpheak sidefooting in the first and Pov Phearith whacking in the second from close range. Half-time substitute Phuong Soksana belted in a third, four minutes after the break and they should've scored more but they didn't and Rithysen got a late consolation, two minutes from time. Ly Sokhour handled in the area and the impossible to pronounce Okwuchukwu Obiawuchi steered home from the penalty spot.
The Army coasted to a 3-1 victory
Rithysen are down and out

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to San Narith! Fabulous hat-trick for a player best- suited in the centre of midfield - inexplicably jettisoned from the national team when in good form.