Sunday, July 10, 2011

Troubled Kirivong take charge

Kirivong put their troubles behind them to win 3-2 versus National Police
Kirivong, believed to have recently lost the backing of their influential sponsor and who have ditched two of their Nigerian contingent during the mid-season break, put their problems behind them to beat the National Police 3-2 at Olympic Stadium this afternoon. The result was closer than the game itself with Kirivong always creating the best openings and looking assured of the 3 points until Police grabbed a late goal in time added on. In Nelson Oladiji, Kirivong have one of the most unpredictable players in the Metfone C-League. He gets lots of opportunities in front of goal, manages to stick a small percentage of them in the net and the rest of the time, he holds his head in his hands when he misses sitters such as the one he fluffed on 67 minutes. From a yard out he managed to fire a shot so wide that it hit the corner flag when everyone had assumed he would score. It was Oladiji that could've given Kirivong an early lead but failed on two occasions before he turned provider for Heng Koem Houng who slid his shot under the Police keeper for the first goal on the half hour. Police's Long Nasy was in on goal but had his shot stopped by keeper Koum Makara, though the keeper was left exposed when the Police grabbed their 39th minute leveller. Say Piseth's free-kick into the heart of the box found Sim Vutha all alone and he made no mistake from close range.

Three minutes after the break, Tith Dina's wayward pass saw Nelson Oladiji in a challenge with Police keeper Thong Chanraksmey, and Mom Sophol took advantage of the loose ball to fire Kirivong back in front. Oladiji and Ouk Thon spurned chances for the Takeo-based team before the game degenerated into a 20-player melee when Ngoun Chansothea tried to pull a prostrate Sos Nasiet off the pitch. Three players were booked for squaring up to each other by referee Neang Sorithya, but remarkably the watching military police, who usually join in any fracas, were conspicuous by their absence. Referee Sorithya was getting carried away and with his 6th booking of the game, he flashed a yellow and then red to Kirivong's Houng, only to realize his error and cancelled out his own red card. On 82 minutes, Kirivong looked to have settled the result when In Vichheka let fly with a left foot screamer from 20 yards that sailed into the top corner to make it 3-1. As Kirivong tried to run down the clock, Police netted a late reply when Long Nasy rattled in a drive after an attempted punch from Kirivong keeper Makara fell to him, but it was too little too late.
The National Police couldn't hold off Kirivong in today's C-League game


Anonymous said...

Stunning 20m strike from In Vichika! Where was he in Vientiane? Oh yes I forgot on the bench as a central defender!

Andy Brouwer said...

Anon, you make a valid point. Even though the national team coach wants to convert him to central defence, he was our only player with striking capability on the bench in Laos, though the coach decided not to try him out in the World Cup game in Vientiane.