Sunday, August 21, 2011

PKR claim third

PKR sitting pretty in 3rd place in the C-League
Preah Khan Reach claimed third place in the Metfone C-League table with just two matches to go, with a 2-0 win over Kirivong at Olympic Stadium this afternoon. Kirivong weren't really up to the task and PKR basically won it in second gear, though Nelson Oladiji, with more composure, could've given the Military Police-backed team a few heart flutters. He didn't and goals from Tum Saray just before the half-hour mark, with a low drive into the corner, and a close range volley from Moul Daravorn six minutes after the interval from a corner, did the damage. In the last 20 minutes Oladiji fired straight at Ouk Mic in the PKR goal and then headed over from six yards when presented with two golden opportunities.
Kirivong weren't up to the task against Preah Khan
The second game was played in torrential rain for much of the second half as the heavens opened just before the interval. By half-time Build Bright United had already gone two goals ahead against bottom club Rithysen, which came as no surprise. Prum Putsethy lobbed the ball into an empty net on ten minutes for the first of what turned out to be a hat-trick for the student's skipper. Their 2nd was more fortuitous when Chhun Sothearath's free-kick fizzed through the defensive wall and took a wicked bounce to deceive Rithysen's keeper Oum Veasna just three minutes later. On the half hour Seth Kamel rolled a shot agonizingly wide for Rithysen, and that was effectively it for the Kompong Chhnang-based club. BBU took control after the break with the help of a penalty, tucked away by Chan Veasna 7 minutes in once Putsethy had his legs swiped from under him. Two more from Putsethy, four minutes apart, completed his hat-trick haul. He finished with ease after 76 minutes and then lobbed another past Veasna soon after. In time added on BBU made it 6-0 when Seng Kosen fired in a 20 yard drive which took a deflection off defender Ly Rony.
BBU ran out easy 6-0 winners in the torrential rain
Rithysen hit another brickwall when losing 6-0 to BBU; they are the only team not to have won a game all season.
Briefly, an interesting development with the Cambodia national team is the resignation of the assistant coach Ieng Saknida, who has decided to pursue more coaching opportunities as well as his B-licence rather than stick with Lee Tae-Hoon and the squad for the forthcoming BIDC Mekong Cup and SEA Games competitions. Saknida last appeared for the national team as a player in the 2008 Suzuki Cup after long service with Samart United, Hello United, Naga, Preah Khan and Khemara before cutting his coaching teeth with the national U-13s. He's also been included in the AFC Project Future elite coaching scheme alongwith Keo Kosal, who is now assisting the U-19s. So his departure is a noticeable loss for the South Korean head coach, who is left with assistant Oum Savong, whose previous coaching experience was with local team Flying Bikes.


Anonymous said...

Flying Bikes! What's that - is it a football club? Can I join. Then can I be a coach?

Andy Brouwer said...

It's actually a motorbike shop I believe, that sponsors a local amateur team. Not exactly the coaching background I'd expect from someone who was appointed to assist a brand new foreign coach. I wish them they'll need it.