Sunday, May 16, 2010

Hard fought affairs

Srey Veasna scored the opening goal for Phnom Penh Crown in today's game
This afternoon's Metfone C-League matches were both closely fought affairs, without the usual rush of goals that we've almost come to expect. The top of the table clash between Phnom Penh Crown and the Army finished as a predictable 1-1 draw with each team canceling out the other. In the 2nd game, it was much the same but Build Bright are on a roll this season and nudged out Preah Khan 2-1, for their 5th win in 7 games, to go to the top of the table for the 1st time. The Crown line-up had an unusual look with just one foreigner and top scorer Prince Justine keeping the bench warm, whilst the Army were at full strength. Justine's replacement Srey Veasna opened the scoring on 23 minutes but Samreth Seiha will be kicking himself for leaving his near post unguarded in the Army goal. 5 minutes before the break, Sin Dalin levelled when he rifled in a shot from 10 yards after Crown failed to deal with a Pheak Rady cross. The 2nd half was pretty even though Justine came on and could've won it, whilst Oum Kumpheak drilled a shot that went through the body of keeper Peng Bunchhay and rolled towards the goal-line, before the keeper recovered to spare his blushes. As usual referee Thong Chankethya kept his pencil sharpened with 7 yellow cards. Honours even at the top.
The Army (Ministry of National Defense) had to settle for a share of the points against Crown
Phnom Penh Crown, like Preah Khan, have stopped using the regulation jerseys supplied by the sponsors
In the BBU versus Preah Khan game, the first half came and went without troubling anyone, with the game mired in midfield obscurity. When PKR did attack they found Hem Simay in great shape again, showing that he's certainly back to the form that won him international caps in the past. The game's three goals came in the space of six minutes midway through the 2nd half. A debatable penalty was awarded for handball and Prum Putsethy netted, only for it to be retaken for encroachment. This time, Nuth Sinoun stepped up to send the keeper the wrong way. Three minutes later and Sinoun was on hand to fire home Putsethy's pull-back for BBU's second. With just 3 more minutes on the clock, PKR reduced the lead through their 16 year old protege Chan Vathanaka, who headed home after Simay had punched away a cross-shot from Sok Chanrasmey. PKR pushed for the equalizer but for once they found Sam El Nasa without his scoring boots on, as he fluffed three good chances in the final few minutes before the full-time whistle blew and BBU claimed the points, and top spot in the C-League with a 1 point advantage over Crown.
BBU registered their fifth win of the season against Preah Khan to go top of the table
Preah Khan fought hard but went down 2-1 against BBU

No comments: